Prof. Patnaik is a Professor in Jindal Global Law School, Senior Additional Registrar & Chief Proctor of the University.
In this role, he contributes to the to the development and implementation of academic and administrative strategies for the University to meet the aspirations of the University’s stakeholders. He is responsible for overseeing academic and administrative matters within the University and in providing a suitable direction in this regard.
Prof. Dabiru Sridhar Patnaik holds a B.A. LL.B. degree from Andhra University; Post Graduate Diploma in Human Rights, International Law, International Relations and Diplomacy from the University of Hyderabad and the Indian Academy of International Law and Diplomacy; M.Phil. in International Legal Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University and a Post Graduate Degree in International Trade Law from the Universities of Turin, Madrid and Vienna.
His research interests are International and Humanitarian Legal Studies, Comparative Law, Philosophy of Law, Globalization and Legal Education. His current research inter alia is focused on Legal Aspects of Humanitarian Affairs, Contemporary Ideas of State Sovereignty and Protection of Human Rights, Cultural Commons, Work of the International Law Commission, Law of Treaties, Human Security Approaches to Post-Conflict Peace Building, Globalism in Action and Legal Education.
Prof. Patnaik has published research articles in national and international journals and is a member of Editorial Boards of various Journals. His research interests include International and Humanitarian Legal Studies, Comparative Law, Philosophy of Law, Globalization and Legal Education. He is peer reviewer for the Oxford University Press India, Indian Journal of International Law, Asian Journal of International Law, Polish Law Review and Journal of International Humanitarian Action. Prof. Patnaik currently serves as the Honorary Treasurer of the prestigious Indian Society of International Law (ISIL), New Delhi and Chief Advisor of the ISIL UNHCR and ICRC Yearbook of International Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law. Currently, he is also discharging functions as Honorary Secretary General (Acting) of the ISIL. In addition to this, Professor Patnaik is a Member of the Governing Body of the University of Delhi’s Rajdhani College; Member of Academic Councils of Universities in India; founding Member of the International Humanitarian Studies Association hosted by Wageningen University, The Netherlands; and Member of the Constitutionalization and Fragmentation of International Law Group of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland.
- International Law and Responsibility to Protect: South Asian Perspective (2012), Published in Proceedings of the Second Doshisha-UNESCO Conference on Asian Perspectives on Humanitarian Intervention in the 21st Century, Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan 2012.
- ‘Issues of State Sovereignity and Humanitarian Assistance and Work of the International Law Commission’ in Hans Joachim – Heintze and Andrej Zwitter (Ed.), ‘Emerging International Legal Dimensions of Humanitarian Aid (Springer: 2012) (Forthcoming).
- ‘Towards an International Legal Framework for the Protection of Individuals in the Event of Disasters: An Initial Inquiry’ in Hans Joachim-Heintze and Andrej Zwitter (Ed.), ‘International Law and Humanitarian Assistance’ (Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011). ISBN: 978 -3- 642-16454-5.
- ‘Towards a ‘Cultural Commons’ Approach to International Cooperation in the Framework of the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions’, Working paper No.19/2010, Centro Studi Silvia Santagata, International Centre for Research in the Economics of Culture, Institutions and Creativity(EBLA), Dipartimento di Economia “S.Cognetti de Martiis”, Universita di Torino, Italy.
- ‘Special Tribunal for Lebanon: Some Preliminary Reflections’, Indian Journal of International Law, vol.48 (2), 2008 pp.267-283.
- Richard Posner’s, ‘Overcoming Law’ (Universal, New Delhi: 2007, Indian Reprint),’ Originally Published by Harvard University Press, 1995, Indian Journal of International Law 2008, vol.48 (3), 2008 pp.508-510. (Book Review).
- Books Prepared for the ISIL – International Law: Issues and Challenges (Volumes I and II, ISIL, Hope India Pubs, New Delhi, 2009).
- Renewing the Conventions, 13 August 2009, The Indian Express, New Delhi.
- Epidemic sans frontiers, 24 June 2009, The Indian Express, New Delhi.
- Protect the Diaspora, 18 Dec 2008, Hindustan Times, New Delhi.
International / National Consultancies and Assignments
- Member of the Nomination Council (2012 onwards), Infosys Prize, Infosys Science Foundation.
- India Correspondent, Oxford Reports on International Law in Domestic Courts (2009 onwards).
- Member of the Expert Group on ‘International Law of Humanitarian Action’ Project of the University of Groningen, The Netherlands and Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany. This research project is a first attempt to compile a cross-cut over various areas of international and regional law concerning humanitarian aid. Presented a report on ‘Towards an International Legal Framework for the Protection of Individuals in the Event of Disasters: An Initial Inquiry’ at the First World Conference on Humanitarian Studies, held ar Groningen, The Netherlands from 4-7 February 2009.
- Research Associate for Indian Member of the International Law Commission (ILC) during the period 2008-2012.
- Member, Panel of Experts of the Post Graduate Diploma in International Humanitarian Law jointly organized by School of Law, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi and the ICRC Regional Delegation for South Asia, New Delhi, since 2010.
- Member, Panel of Experts of the Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law jointly organized by School of Law, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi and Centre for Environmental Law, WWF-India, New Delhi, since 2010.
- Member (Law, 2006-2009), Institutional Ethical Committee (IEC), Development Alternatives, New Delhi. Responsible for reviewing proposals of projects involving human subject investigation, under Indian Council for Medical Research’s “Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Subjects” and evaluate research proposals with the aim to safeguard the welfare and rights of participants.