Prof. Kalyani Unkule is an Associate Professor, JGLS and Director (International Affairs and Global Initiatives), JGU. Having completed her BA and MA degrees respectively in Economics and Social Work, in 2007 she was awarded the Erasmus Mundus scholarship to pursue MA/MSc Global Studies at London School of Economics and University of Leipzig. Returning to India in 2010, she held positions in Government and consulting before joining Jindal Global University in 2012. In 2011, Kalyani founded The Whiteboard Initiative to provide support for stronger Higher Education ties between India and Europe, with support from the European Commission and her Erasmus Mundus alumni community. Currently she is also a member of the GLOBUS Horizon 2020 Research Consortium, the Jean Monnet Network’s ‘EUCROSS’ (‘The European Union at the Crossroads of Global Order’) and The Global Working Group on International Students and Law Schools and remains passionately committed to promoting intercultural understanding and creating opportunities for educational exchanges between young people around the world. In her spare time she contributes columns on themes in spirituality to newspapers and blogs
- Internationalising the University: a Spiritual Approach (Palgrave Macmillan 2019)
- Seeing all beings as oneself: internationalizing higher education for universal harmony January 2018 special issue of Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad.
- Countering Radicalisation- Meeting the Challenge of the Lone Wolves (Defence and Security Alert, April 2015)
- The EU’s Self Image as a Security Actor (Defence and Security Alert, June 2014)
- EU: Looking East, Staying West? (Defence and Security Alert, March 2011)
IDSA web commentaries:
- Conflict and Cooperation in the Arctic;
- Case of UK- France Defence Cooperation.
JSIA-CIES web commentaries:
- A Diamond with many Facets (on demands for return of the Kohinoor diamond to India)
- The AlBashir saga and India’s International Obligations
- Perspectives on US Mass Incarceration
- Reimagining India’s Role in the Thirty Meter Telescope Project
- Eurocentrism, Solidarity and the Migrant Crisis
- UK election 2015: The Outcome
- Global Nationalisms: An Analytical Challenge for International Relations
Other Web Commentaries
- Policy Times: Equipping the new student for the brave new world
- Fortune: The glass cliff – Implications for women’s leadership
- Shiksha.com web commentary: Study in India: Meaningfully Internationalising Indian Higher Education
- Business World Education web commentary – Study Abroad and Employability
- THEWIRE.IN web commentary – No ‘Monuments Men’ for Heritage Under Siege in Syria, May 2015
- DSA dialogues web commentary – Freedom of Expression and Security: the Quest for Balance, Jan 2015.
- Chapter on “Co-operation as a Protected Value” in International Conflict and Security Law Edited by Sergey Sayapin, T.M.C. Asser Press / Springer (Forthcoming 2019)
- Co-authored chapter on proposed India-EU FTA for the edited volume India in the Contemporary World: Polity, Economy and International Relations (Routledge 2014).
- Meer dan diamant en chocolade? Het beeld van België in India in Het wiel van Ashoka. Belgisch-Indiase contacten in historisch perspectief, Idesbald Goddeeris (ed.), Published by Leuven University Press, October 2013
- Breaking Through by Li Lanquing on Economic Reform in China (Strategic Analysis – January 2011)
- Russia and Europe: Building Bridges, Digging Trenches (Strategic Analysis – April 2011)
- The Precariat: A New Dangerous Class (JSIA CIES blog Nickled and Dimed – June 2015)
- The East-West Encounter: a Pedagogical Experience in CAPA Occasional Publications No. 7 Globalization, Civilization, and Their Discontents (Forthcoming 2018)
- As Research Associate with Aviotech Defense Advisory and Investments – Spearheaded Creation of Company’s Thought Leadership Series, with 15 Thought Leadership and Market Opportunity papers/reports/briefs published in one year on defense, homeland security and bilateral ties.
- Visiting Scholar at China National Institute for SCO International Exchange and Judicial Cooperation, Shanghai, Dec 2018
- Guest Faculty Member on Master’s in International Law, Foreign Trade and International Relations program at the Superior Institute of Law and Economics (ISDE), Spain
- Visiting scholar and guest lecturer at Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, California, 2017
- Visiting Scholar at William Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, 2015
- Visiting Scholar at University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, December 2014
- Visiting Fellow at Koc University, Istanbul, Dec 2013-Jan 2014
- Visiting Fellow at Katholieke University of Leuven, 2011
International / National Consultancies and Assignments
- Founded The Whiteboard Initiative in 2011 to provide support for stronger Higher Education ties between India and Europe – endorsed by the European Commission.
- Parliamentary Research and Advocacy Project on Fighting Age Discrimination at the House of Lords, UK.
- Project entitled South Intellectual Platform with South Centre, Geneva in 2008.
- Field Investigator and Contributor to Centre for Civil Society’s Delhi Citizen Handbook, a critical enquiry into functioning of Delhi Government in 2005.