The JGLS student exchange grants students the opportunity to spend a semester abroad at one of our partner institutions as part of their curricular experience. Study periods spent abroad not only enrich students' lives in the academic and professional fields, but can also improve language learning, intercultural skills, self-reliance and self-awareness. Their experiences give students a better sense of what it means to be a global citizen. In addition, many employers highly value such a period abroad, which increases the students' employability and job prospects.
In the wake of globalization, students from various countries have a lot to learn from other countries and their legal systems through an academic-cultural immersion. Student exchange programmes help achieve that and much more. Having completed an internal selection process, students from JGLS spend one semester in a partner university abroad and earn credits in the host university in order to fulfill the academic requirements of the host institution and JGLS. The programme is reciprocal in nature, and therefore JGLS is keen to host students from partner universities on its residential campus. The programme is also revenue-neutral for fee, and hence, students continue to pay for their tuition at the home law school, but are responsible for their own travel and living expenses.
JGLS has established international collaborations with law schools around the world, including Monash University, American University Washington College of Law, University of Queensland, Singapore Management University, China University of Political Science and Law etc. Each year, eligible students from JGLS spend a semester at partner universities across the globe and we also host students from the to study at JGLS for a semester as part of these student exchange arrangements.
Who is eligible to go on Exchange
As per the existing policy, students of five year of BA LLB / BBA LLB programme,three year of LLB programme and LLM students are eligible to go on exchange.
- Students of five-year BA LLB / BBA LLB programme are selected in their sixth and eighth semester and they go in their seventh and ninth semester.
- Students of three-year LLB programme are selected in their third semester and they go in their fourth semester.
- Similarly, students of one year LLM programme are selected in their first semester and they are eligible to go in their second semester.
A student should meet the following eligibility criteria in order to apply for semester exchange:
- A student must be in the third or fourth year of study of the five-year BA LLB / BBA LLB programme, second year of study of the three year LLB programme and first semester of study of the one year LLM programme.
- A student must have a minimum CGPA of 6.0 and must have passed all the courses.
- There should not be any disciplinary action of the nature of suspension against the student.
- Call for application for BA LLB / BBA LLB students is circulated in January, while for LLB and LLM students it is circulated in August/September.
- Interested students need to upload their updated Resume, Statement of purpose and updated transcript.
- Students who satisfy the eligibility criteria are called for the interview and are scored based on their CGPA score, resume, SOP and interview.
- Rank list is prepared based on the scores obtained by the students.
- List of participating universities are circulated to the students.
- Bidding is done for the seats of the participating universities.
- Students are nominated based on the university selected at the time of bidding.
Click here for more information.